Sunday, February 8, 2009

Daniel's in San Diego


I dropped Daniel off at the airport this morning. He left for San Diego. I know I'll see him in 4 days, since I am flying down there on Thursday after work, but I am still sad he is gone.

Tori organized a group dinner on Friday night to wish him Bon Voyage. We went to Lalibela, an Ethiopian restaurant. It's been a while since I've eaten Ethiopian food, but man it's tasty. Lots of interesting spices! We got three giant combo platters, so 10 people had more than enough food for the princely sum of $93 (without alcohol). The platters that held the food had to be at least 24" in diameter. If you have never eaten Ethiopian food, there are no utensils, but your food comes with a basket of injera, a spongy flat bread reminiscent of a giant crepe or pancake. You tear off pieces of the injera and use it to scoop up the food. Our combo platters also had a piece of injera covering the bottom of the plates, presumably as a sponge for the foods.

Kris and Randy were set to join us, but according to later reports, they ended up at ... another Ethiopian restaurant a block away from us!

After dinner, we caravaned out to a nearby Baskin Robbins, and I actually had ice cream (sigh). Although it was entertaining to watch some of the boys take pride in their 890 calorie (really!) desserts. I can't believe B-R actually has a sundae dessert that is over 1500 calories...

***

Here is a shot of Daniel wearing one of the woven tabletops on his head:



No comments: