Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Today's Eats

I'm relaxing right now, after a shower. My inner thighs are killing me after yesterday's 4 x 12 backsquats. Yeow! (I forgot to wear my new lifting shoes, too! Dang... I love my lifting shoes, too - they really make a difference as to how deep I squat. If you can swing it, I highly recommend them!)

I started the day at work at 6 AM. Yeah, I'm an early bird. Plus, traffic northbound of Seattle at that time of day is trivial.  I wandered into the Tully's on-site and bought a venti black iced tea, and a grande breve latte, of which I drank less than half today.

Breakfast was a heated-up casserole & a strip of bacon.  Here's how I made the casserole (sorry, I am lacking pictures today!)


BREAKFAST CASSEROLE (aka Crustless Quiche)

Ingredients:

- 12 eggs (as "happy" as you can afford - aka truly free-range-insect-eating local eggs, etc.)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 minced ancho chile (or other mildish green chile, or a small can of green chiles)
- A couple of large handfuls of spinach
- A couple of shallots
- 2 or 3 stalks celery, chopped
- Several cloves of garlic, minced
- Heavy cream and/or cheese (if you're eating dairy)
- Favorite spices and herbs - I used salt, pepper, smoked paprika, dried aleppo pepper

Preheat oven to 400 deg.  On the stove, cook the ground pork.  I seasoned it while I was cooking it (and I re-used the grease from the pork to cook a mess of kale for dinner last night).  Add the garlic and shallots to the pork.  Get out an 11x17 inch Pyrex baking dish. First, add the cooked pork to the dish.  Then stir in the spinach, pepper, and celery.  Crack and pour the 12 eggs into a bowl, and whisk them to combine the yolks and whites.  Add the whisked eggs to the baking dish.  I folded everything together with a small spatula to make sure the eggs were incorporated.  I poured a little cream over the top and a little shredded cheese, too.  Then I sprinkled the top with smoked paprika, and set it in the oven till the eggs were firm. 

Once it's done, let it cool, cut into 9-ish sections and store in the fridge.  It reheats really well!

***

For lunch, I had leftovers from last night - pork sausage and a mess of kale, with a gorgeous fresh-harvested apple for something delicious and sweet.  I've taken to cutting my apples into slices, and thoroughly covering them in Penzey's cinnamons - no sugar, and they are SPICY and DELICIOUS!

***

I came home, and honestly I haven't been hungry, though I made a pot of tea and (d'oh) left it steeping for *way* too long! Sigh.

No comments: