Monday, February 13, 2012

WOD-ing Along

I recently spoke to my homeopathist about the results of a hair analysis he ordered, which shows various mineral and heavy metal concentrations in the body.  The results confirmed his suspicion that I had adrenal fatigue, to which a friend quipped, "Doesn't that mean you're like everyone else who's alive?"  The homeopathist's view was that I needed to 'slow down', specifically in regards to exercise.

I don't generally consider my level of activity excessive.  I do Crossfit three times a week, and have a Pilates class on Sunday. When we have a functioning kitchen, I cook dinner most nights and make enough for me to eat the next day for lunch, plus some breakfast foods. (Daniel sometimes joins in the leftovers).  I do most of the house-cleaning and laundry.  I work a full-time job.  I don't think this is unusual in today's society.

However, you have to admit that does sound like a lot of activity, and it could explain why a lot of society also reaches for stimulants like caffeine and sugar to get them through the day - not to mention people's general lackadaisical attitude towards getting enough sleep.  I try to be in bed and winding down before 9 PM every night, and I wake up somewhere between 5:15-5:30 AM, depending on when Daniel is waking me up after his shower.

The homeopathist's words stuck with me, though. For a long time now, I have contemplated going to powerlifting-specific classes instead of Crossfit workouts. The pace is a whole different beast. You do your lifts and then you recover for several minutes before going again. As my rolfer (who is also a lifting coach) put it, "You should leave the class feeling like you could have done more".

My friend Jules teaches a Monday night one-hour class at Crossfit206.  And I have contemplated Rolfer's class as well; my friend Joanna attends his lifting sessions and has PR'd many times since she's started. It is tempting.

And different. And change is hard sometimes.  So I don't know why I am resisting it. I think it would be fun. I enjoy lifting weights.

Today's WOD at Crossfit Seattle was 5 x 20 wall-balls. 100 wall-balls. In 10 minutes (5 sets of one minute on, one minute off)... but still. And the strength move was backsquats. I am having trouble getting up from my chair.

Yes, maybe it is time for change. :)

No comments: