Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lazy Saturday WIP Update

I did not realize when I travelled to Daniel's house on Thursday night that my sock pattern was missing the page with the instructions on how to turn the heel. I still haven't absorbed that part of sock knitting, especially when Cat Bordhi is switching between methods in her book, New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One. This is Sock 2 of "Bartholomew's Tantalizing Socks", although right now it looks more like a "Bartholomew's Tantalizing Legwarmer". I had to stop right at the point where the heel instructions begin, so I was out of knitting on Friday night and Saturday morning. Horrors! I had to buy a newspaper on the ferry in order to gain access to the crossword puzzles and keep myself occupied for an hour with no iPod (my battery had died).




I think Liz was right. She thought I was knitting the skein of Blue Moon's Socks That Rock "Metamorphic" shown above at the wrong gauge for the yarn. Notice the weird pooling. Not that I particularly mind, but I thought that most STR yarns were set up for striping effects (?). Ah well. STR Mediumweight is, by far, one of my favorite sock yarns.

Next up is Ms. Marigold from Zephyr Style. She's been on the needles awhile. If I can finish up the Bart's Sock soon, I'll take her up for a bit of mindless travel knitting. It's going to become a circular piece of knitting as soon as I pick it up again. I think I made the V-neck too deep, but I don't care at this point - I want this thing done. I think it would have been far easier if it had been done in the round from the beginning, although I appreciate their usage of a circular needle for the back-and-forth knitting. If you haven't read about my Marigold before, it's done with KnitPicks Elegance yarn in Barn Red. It was cheap, I'll say that - I got the 6 balls of yarn for something like $33, and they are an alpaca/silk blend. My only (seemingly perpetual) complaint about KnitPicks' yarn is that it is plied too loosely for my taste, resulting in a splitty yarn. Meh!



I haven't progressed beyond the last pictures of my 2-at-a-time Magic Loop socks (using Noro Kureyon sock), nor on my cotton chenille blanket, so I didn't feel like reposting the same pictures.

I would REALLY like to get these projects done, though, so I can start new ones and be excited about new things! This is why I am exceedingly glad I have today to myself. Time to knit, laze around, and do whatever - with no guilt!

No comments: