Saturday, May 24, 2008

New Recipes I found

Absinthe Cupcakes

Tomato Soup Cupcakes

The best buttercream I've ever made. I made this a while back, but never shared the recipe:

Ingredients are simple: good butter, powdered sugar, and a little milk or half-and-half.

1) Start creaming the butter with some sort of electric mixer (either a handheld, like I have, or a big ol' countertop one).

2) Add some milk / cream / liquid to work the butter into more of a paste.

3) Start adding the powdered sugar. Somewhat slowly. Keep mixing. The mixture will thicken up.

Keep adding sugar and mixing until it's sweet enough and light enough in consistency for you. You may need to add more milk, but I barely added a few tablespoons' worth to 2 sticks of butter and it came out just fine.

Notes: Refrigeration will set this frosting. You can add any flavors you want. I added orange flower water and vanilla to mine, but the butter taste overpowered them both. I would add a lot more vanilla next time. This is something you should try as you're making it...but I'm just one of those people who could eat butter off the stick, so maybe I'm weird or something.

And the butter makes a difference - make sure it's fresh and doesn't taste like refrigerator weirdness. Seriously. I like salted butter for this, or you could use unsalted and add a small pinch of salt. I think it brings out the butter flavor. Again.. I like butter. :)

No comments: