Sunday, October 5, 2008

Foodstuffs

I thought I'd share some of the late summer / early fall bounty I am experiencing right now.

First off, here is the final harvest of my two tomato plants (including the random strawberries that just happened to be ripe yesterday. Anyone else think it's odd that I still have strawberries coming in October?). I figure I will roast or fry the green and less ripe tomatoes. Some have split (see the yellow one in the back?), but the yellow ones taste really good. The green ones were amazing grilled at my friend's house about a month ago (For a sense of scale, they are sitting on a 12" dinner plate)...


This was an effort to cook my beets last week. It looks like a murder scene! :)


I peeled them and threw them in a 400 deg F oven with some maple syrup, olive oil, and sea salt. Simple, and to the point.

Here was the rest of my CSA box from last week: a bag of hardy braising greens, broccoli, beets, parsley, and a yellow squash.

Finally, I had a box of mini sweet peppers I bought at Trader Joe's, and I decided to stuff them with some Humboldt Fog goat cheese I had bought earlier, and just roast them on the stovetop. GOOD LORD these were good. It's true what people say: If you start with quality ingredients, the food will take care of itself.

The thing I love about Humboldt Fog cheese is the flavor. It's like two cheeses in one - the outer layer is a semi-crumbly goat cheese, and inside that there is this gooey, almost brie- style goat cheese. Holy Cow (so to speak).

To end it all, I tossed the veggie remains in the food waste bin. Woohoo!

No comments: